The P.E. and Sport Premium is designed to help primary schools improve the quality of the P.E. and sport activities they offer their pupils.
Since 2013 the government has invested over £600 million on this funding,
This funding is ring-fenced and therefore can only be spent on provision of P.E. and sport in schools.
The funding is calculated as follows:
Schools with 16 or fewer eligible pupils receive £1000 per pupil.
Schools with 17 or more eligible pupils receive £16,000 and an additional payment of £10 per pupil.
Purpose of funding
Schools must spend the additional funding on improving their provision of PE and sport, but they will have the freedom to choose how they do this.
Possible uses for the funding might include:
- hiring specialist PE teachers or qualified sports coaches to work with primary teachers when teaching PE
- supporting and engaging the least active children through new or additional Change4Life clubs
- paying for professional development opportunities for teachers in PE and sport
- providing cover to release primary teachers for professional development in PE and sport
- running sport competitions, or increasing pupils’ participation in the School Games
- buying quality assured professional development modules or materials for PE and sport
- providing places for pupils on after school sports clubs and holiday clubs
- pooling the additional funding with that of other local schools.
Click on the link below to view our Sports Premium